Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the PokerCrack Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Chip Poker

Bovada bonus

Baja Off-Roading Bachelor Party!

Baja Off-Roading Bachelor Party!

For our friend Stan's bachelor party, we decided to take the UTVs to baja for a few days of fun. Everyone met at my house in Jamul on Thursday AM. We combined a few vehicles and trailers, and headed to Tecate. There's a parking lot on the US side about 1/4 mile from the border where we paid $10/day/truck to park.

We got in our UTVs -- two Polaris XP4 1000's, a two seat CamAM X3, and a 4 seat CanAM X3. We drove the 1/4 mile from the parking lot to the border crossing. All of us got the "green light", no issues. We looped around and got our FMMs (those who needed to; I already had mine, we had a permanent resident with us, as well. Easy peasy).

We headed east, out of Tecate. Took the free road for a couple miles, and connected to the dirt road which takes you south to Ojos Negros. This trip was overall, uneventful... but we found a few issues on our rigs that needed attention and some extra time to investigate.

First, my rig had developed an oil leak. It started pretty minor, on my last trip down to BCS during Christmas. However it had now turned into a much bigger leak. We investigated for a bit, found nothing major, and verified our "spares" of 3 quarts of oil... and decided to continue on. A bit later, we had an issue with our other Polaris where the brakes were spongy. A quick bleed of the brakes, and we were back on our way.

We fueled up in Ojos, and continued down the highway a bit, before heading back north-east off-road again. This took us to the "goat trail" and dumped us back off on highway 3, a few miles before Valle T.

Before we got to Valle T, one of our RZRs had a failed carrier bearing on the drive shaft, so we pulled that out and continued in 2WD.

We got into Valle T before dark, fueled up, and got some tacos. Our itinerary had us getting to Mike's Sky Ranch that night, so we continued on.

Unfortunately, our planning was a bit sub-par.. and we planned for San Diego and San Felipe weather... NOT the high-desert-in-between weather. Our trip up to Mike's was COLD. When we arrived, the front door was locked... despite the fact that I had called a few days prior for our reservation of 8 people. I found a guy walking around, who let us in, scrambled to find us some rooms... spread out across the ENTIRE compound.. a butter knife was the "key" to get us into the rooms.. Some didn't have heaters hooked up, some didn't have functional doors... it was kind of a mess.
    The heaters in the room ended up workin well; the showers were hot. Breakfast was OK. Chorizo and eggs. The eggs were very rubbery, but everything else was tasty.

Before we left, we found that one of our RZRs (the one with the failed carrier bearing) also had a failed wheel bearing. This failed wheel bearing had caused the caliper to break in half (hence the reason for the spongy brakes!) The decision was made to "take it easy".. and we continued on our way. The dirt between Valle T and El Diablo lake bed was nothing but whoops... FUN, but miserable at the same time.

We dropped into the lake bed, and opened it up. My RZR has a tune that removed the rev limiter and all the other restrictions, so I going was 80MPH+. Conditions were GREAT These crazy CanAMs though... the guy in the two seater blew past me at 95MPH. It's crazy how fast those cars are. Until... they blow belts. HAHAH. The belt actually blew through the entire clutch housing! Then, we got word on the radio that the 4 seat CanAM actually blew a belt too (and blew through the housing too!!).

After a bit, we were all back on the road. We headed into San Felipe, and got to one of our group's family compound in Bahia Santa Maria.

We spent the next two days using this as a "home base". A few trips into town. A few trips out and about to the southwest.

We went to the Chenowth Lodge in Percebu. Great museum, and a nice bar area to hang out. We didn't have dinner, but did meet Lynn Chenowth, who told us we SHOULD stay for dinner since he has hired the BEST chef in San Felipe (unfortunately, we had previous plans). Anyone have any experience with their restaurant???

Saturday, we took a trek out to the west and found the Canon el Parral. This looped us around down towards Matomi Wash. It was a nice fun UTV ride!

Sunday morning we left Bahia Santa Maria, and had a GOAL of getting back to Rancho Santa Veronica, near Tecate. The trip back was MOSTLY non-eventful. About 5 miles outside of our destination, I lost a tie-rod. It came unscrewed from the steering box. NOT fun at 50MPH when your tires both just tow COMPLETELY out, and you're pitched sideways heading towards a barbed wire fence!

About 20 minutes of trail-fix later in 38 degree weather, and we were back on our way.

We made it to Rancho Santa Veronica after dark, and they were completely shut down. We finally found someone there, who told us that there was NO food and NO heat. However, they would sell us firewood to use in the in-room fireplaces. And a local lady would make us some burritos. The showers were hot. The rooms were COLD. The wood was SMOKEY. The burritos were decent. We weren't sure if we'd wake up in the morning with all the smoke in the rooms!

We did get a night of sleep that was enough to hold us over.

The next morning, we hit the road, and took the next 30 minutes into Tecate. Found some great breakfast tacos at Tacos Mis Tios... and drive the next 1/2 mile to the border line. We spent about 40 minutes in line, and drove across into the states with no issues. (Except the person in the UTV behind me informed me that every time I moved forward, my engine and transmission was moving 4" vertically... it turns out that at SOME point, I had lost my rear motor mount bolts. So my transmission has been sitting on my skid plate for some UNKNOWN amount of miles! hahah)

660 miles over 5 days. I'm SO surprised that we all made it back without more carnage than we had!!

I'm SO surprised that we all made it back without more carnage than we had!!
    That's great for you! Keep sharing your thoughts in the thread!

I think it's amazing how you navigated through various challenges with your UTV crew. Regarding insurance, Asperger's is typically classified as a neurological issue, but it's wise to double-check with your provider.
    Also, I've been contemplating life insurance lately. It's one of those adult responsibilities we tend to put off, but it's essential for ensuring our loved ones are taken care of. I stumbled upon Purecover recently, and it seems like a reliable option.
    If you're up for more exploration, checking out the Hyde Beach menu might offer some exciting options.